In 2004, citizens from across Polk County, led by private, public, and civic leaders, joined forces to address critical issues facing our community and develop a common purpose. Focus groups, community meetings, and task forces were engaged in a nine-month process to gain insight into countywide priorities, examine strengths and weaknesses, and develop a long-term vision with strategic solutions and communitywide benchmarks. The strategies were adopted by public and private organizations, large and small, with a common goal to create our desired future.
After six years of successful development, Polk Vision leaders re-engaged the community in an effort to “refresh” the original priorities. The revised strategies and benchmarks reflect the priorities of Polk County citizens and provide an impetus for refocusing our communitywide efforts. The strategies are categorized into six areas of focus: Education, Economic Development, Infrastructure, Government, Quality of Life, and Civic Engagement. Key community Benchmarks provide measurable goals which will indicate progress or setback in achieving our vision.
Each area of focus has a unique long-term vision supported by its strategies.
Before 2030, Polk County:
- will have a world-class, fully integrated education system that supports the needs of a vibrant, progressive community.
- will have an economic development environment that attracts quality businesses with higher paying jobs, improves productivity, and retains educated young people.
- will have growth management and infrastructure that protects the environment, enhances quality of life, supports education and economic development, and is economically sustainable.
- will have a comprehensive system of government that is effective, efficient, diverse, and responsive to the basic needs of its citizens.
- will have a quality of life that encourages diverse backgrounds to live in harmony while developing physically, spiritually, mentally, and culturally within a healthy and safe environment.
- will have private sector leadership that drives the partnership with government and citizens to ensure that Polk County is a premiere place to live, learn, work, and play.
Organizations from across Polk County have the opportunity to become involved in shaping the future of the county by becoming active participants in Polk Vision as Vision Partners. Our community, through partnerships of public, private, and civic organizations working cooperatively, can make the Vision a reality!